Based at the HMS Center for Primary Care, the Harvard Home for Family Medicine (HHFM) is building upon the growing community of HMS family medicine students, residents, and attendings engaged in family medicine education, research, and mentorship opportunities. The HHFM was established in 2016 thanks to a generous donation made to the HMS Center for Primary Care. The director of the HHFM is Kathe Miller. Dr. Miller is a faculty member at the HMS Center for Primary Care who teaches throughout the HMS curriculum and has a busy community practice. Dr. Aaron Hoffman is the second core faculty at the HHFM. Dr Hoffman is a family physician at the MGH Ambulatory Practice of the Future and medical director for the MGH Institute of Health Professions.
What can the HHFM provide for you?
- Connect with the HMS Family Medicine Interest Group!
- Information about the specialty including career options, fellowship training and more
- Connect students with opportunities for clinical experience in Family Medicine
- Provide information on Family Medicine based research
- Help students find an amazing mentor
- Connect students to national resources and events, including the American Academy of Family Physicians Student and Resident Conference
- Opportunities to create and participate in family medicine based events at HMS and in partnership with other medical schools
- Family Medicine Interest Group
- The Match
- Applying in Family Medicine at HMS
- Events and Opportunities
- Office Hours
Supported by the HHFM, this student run interest group connects students to the most exciting opportunities in family medicine. By joining the FMIG, you can be first to know about lunch talks, family medicine sponsored conferences, procedure workshops, and the annual mentorship dinner.
There are many opportunities to connect with family physicians during your HMS education. These include requesting a family doctor for your FCC and PCC experience, as well as electives in family medicine in Shiprock, New Mexico with the Indian Health Service, rural family medicine in Barre, MA, and Boston-based Advanced Clinical Electives in Family Medicine.
Would you like to speak with a family doctor who has a practice that interests you? The HHFM can connect you to faculty with wide-ranging interests and practice styles who are particularly interested in working one-on-one with students as mentors.
Interested in family medicine research? There are family doctors who are involved in research and can offer projects of varying intensity, including Scholars in Medicine projects. There are opportunities available in the HMS wide database and through the HHFM.
Worried about the match? Join our annual series on preparing for the match in primary care and family medicine. Meetings begin yearly in June. Please contact Kathe Miller to sign up.
A STUDENT CREATED, frequently updated guide to everything from Family Medicine history at HMS to hints for applying, to a comprehensive list of HMS graduates who specialized in Family Medicine. View the guide.
- HMS-Based Family Medicine Educational Opportunities:
If you would like more experience in Family Medicine, request a Family Medicine physician for your Primary Care Clerkship!
- Sign up for HMS based Family Medicine elective opportunities:
- New course requirements for the DSA: To apply in primary care and family medicine students must complete one HMS based qualifying primary care elective (there are about 22 options) in addition to their PCC. If applying in Family Medicine it is strongly recommended that you complete one of the Boston based FM electives. Please reach out to Kathe with questions. We are hoping to create more course options in Family Medicine in the future.
Do you have questions about Family Medicine or what a career as a family physician might look like? Do they have questions about Family Medicine and Primary Care training and preparation for residency? Center faculty Kathe Miller and Aaron Hoffman are here to help! Please stop by the Center for Primary Care's HMS Home for Family Medicine office, 160 Longwood Ave, from 4-5pm on Wednesday afternoons for drop-in office hours! If you would like to meet at another time during the week please just email Dr. Kathe Miller (email@example.com) and Dr. Aaron Hoffman (ARHoffman@mgh.harvard.edu) to set up something that works!
Questions? Please reach out directly to Dr. Miller or Dr. Hoffman.
Kathe Miller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aaron Hoffman: ARHoffman@mgh.harvard.edu
Interested in learning about more opportunities like this?